Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Vintage Letter Stamps and Carving Tools

OK, this is a few days later than I had planned, but oh well! This last week of summer before the kids start school is crazy...


Here are some pics of the BOXES of OLD letter stamps that I purchased recently at an estate sale. Some of the sets are complete, and some are just missing a few letters. I think that they are so gorgeous, and I love thinking about how they were used. The family owned a portrait studio (I also have old glass negatives!) in Downtown Detroit in the '30's and '40's, plus another retail business. Whoever was into using these stamps accumulated a lot of them.













He or She was very interested in any kind of printing, as I also found 2 boxes full of woodblock-mounted metal stamps, some copper. Some were made from photos, others look like they were ads. I don't think they had a newspaper, but who knows. The sale also had lots of hand-carved block-stamps, but they were a bit pricey for me. Worth every penny, I'm sure, as a dealer bought all of them at once, but too much for me. I think I've used my estate sale budget for the year on this sale!!







I put a light layer of babypowder on the blocked stamps, so you could see the images. They would be so gorgeous on display, or just think of all of the creative ways you could alter them!



Lastly, here's beautiful set of antique carving tools. Most were made by Ezra Bowman and Co., Lancaster, PA, patented March 12, 1889. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to clean them up or let whoever buys them give it a try. I haven't carved any kind of block since college, but I couldn't leave them!

12 comments:

'Cuz I Felt Like It! said...

What great finds! I love estate sales, but haven't had much luck at them! I love the stamps!

Chichiboulie said...

Honestly, your finds are gorgeous! I'm jealous! My great uncles have things like that stashed around their houses... maybe someday for me too!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

What wonderful finds!!! I love that kind of thing because my Daddy was a printer and we had a lot of these things around the house. I loved looking at your treasures!

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

Oh I love those letter stamps. What wonderful finds. lucky you!

s.i. michaels said...

The stamps are awesome. What do you think you'll use them for?

Stephanie said...

I'm not sure what I'm going to use them for... I just had to have them...

Krazy Kate Designs said...

for some reason, the pictures didn't show up on my browser! :( I wanted to see them! Sounds like you got something great!

Brandi Hussey said...

I looove stamps - and who could turn away those lovely antique stamps??! They are a fantastic find.

I also wanted to welcome you to the Indiepublic Blog Ring! Thanks so much for joining!

Brandi Hussey said...

Hey Stephanie - thanks soo much for your kind words! You're absolutely right. It doesn't have to be all done right now this very second. I'm going to remind myself of that, too! :)

. said...

Those stamps are such a great find! Love it!

Kiley said...

Amazing finds! I gave up on the sales around here, we went for months didn't find anything and got two cars totaled in the process!q

BeckyKay said...

Oh wow! What amazing finds! I'd love to find that estate sale!